Sunday, July 10, 2011

My legs have still got it!

Today I got to spend 3 hours in the car by myself. Well for half of it my 5 y/o was in the car, but he was watching a movie with headphones on and didn't have his sister to fight with so it was pretty much like being alone. 3 hours of fairly mindless highway driving to be in control of the radio and think my own thoughts! Almost as good as my shower thinking time, except of course I had to pay enough attention to the road to avoid careening into other cars or the center divider.


So I'm driving down the lost highway (It's 2 lanes each direction and there's lots of semi truck traffic) rocking out to Rihanna's S & M (love that song- try so hard not to listen when my kids are listening- do not want to explain whips and chains to the 10 year old!) and it happens- a trucker honks at my legs. Really. True story. I was wearing fairly short shorts and I looked around to see what the honking was about. No cars about to crash, no slowing ahead, no emergency situation, no other trucks nearby to be signaling in secret trucker honk language to. The only thing that made sense was that my legs were getting props.


I very clearly remember my first receipt of the trucker leg honk. I was 14 and in my tennis skirt as I had just finished tennis practice. I was a mediocre high school tennis player, but I rocked that skirt. I was in the front seat of the family Suburban with my short skirt and my feet up on the dash. We passed a semi and the guy honked and my mom said, "he's honking at your legs." Umm, what? Truckers do that? According to my mom they did. At 14 it kinda creeped me out. Today, 25 years and 2 pregnancies later, it was all I could do not to slow down to wave at the guy and give him a thumbs up. Between the tennis skirt occurrence and today, I've gotten the trucker leg honk a number of times, but it's been awhile. This must happen across our great country and not just in the middle of nowhere on Highway 99. Also, I'm pretty sure this is really a thing and not something my mom made up followed by coincidences over the years. If it's not, I would really prefer you keep that information to yourself and not burst my bubble! My legs and I are feeling pretty cocky right now.


Peace & Love :-)



1 comment:

  1. My father-in-law has been a long haul trucker for about 40 years and he claims he honks at "nice hoots." (Totally his words, not mine.) So either way, your rack or your legs... Mad props!

    ReplyDelete

What say you?